When Actions Cause Stress Reactions

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Here I am - happy as a clam...not suspecting this year would end very much like it began.


...with me not running.

Here in this pic, it's mid November.  I'm just starting back from a 3 week break after the Chicago marathon.  I'm well rested.  The foot is feeling okay.  I'm feeling excited at the prospect of regaining some strength and consistency in my running.  I'm also feeling a bit smug at how well I'm coaching myself to take it easy...

Well, at least I thought I was taking it easy.  

My runs themselves were conservative in distance and frequency.  As seen in the screen capture below, my longest week was only 11 miles.  Back in the day, I would eat 11 miles for breakfast (exaggerated for emphasis).  However, what the runs lacked in length they made up for in intensity.

 

Run Club Fun Club
Somewhere I got the bright idea that the few weeks back from a prolonged injury was just the perfect time to start trying out running clubs around town.  Running with a group of people has that great effect of energizing you and making you want to push harder.  My first couple of run club experiences, I couldn't keep up worth a hill of beans and so what did I do? 

I pushed harder.

Gym Ambition
I ran hard on the treadmill with speed sessions that I clearly was not ready for.  I even did one really intense 45 min jump rope session that I loved every minute of but which left my foot throbbing the next day.

Not Smart.

That last interval session followed by the 5 miler (only ran that far as a result of losing a bet when the Patriots lost the previous Monday.  Never again, Brady.) was the straw that broke the camel.  I knew there was something wrong-- a different sort of wrong than I had been experiencing-- after that speed session.  But, as is apparent from my running-log, it took me 3 more workouts to say okay, done.

My aerobic fitness was coming back steadily but my foot was still pretty weak.

Back to the Dr.'s
I finally made that appointment with the Injured Runners Clinic in the Sports Med Dpt at Children's Hospital.  The overall experience was not great but I got what I needed.  I was hoping for two things with this move: 1. I wanted a second opinion on what is going on with my ball of the foot pain-- I can walk fine now but the pain returns after 2 or 3 miles of running and 2. I wanted to get this new pain (more on the outside of the foot) checked out.

My x-rays again showed nothing so I ended up here.


I was thankful for a more comprehensive test but man are MRI's stressful!  In feet first up to my thigh, it was pretty easy to hold position.  I was thankful my head was out but as I'm sensitive to loud noises just being in the room was difficult.  I did okay.  I was tense the whole time trying not to flip out with all the banging and squealing of the machine but I did okay.  Never again, MRI (I hope).

When all was said and done the diagnosis was a stress reaction of the 4th metatarsal.  And, still no clue what's going on in the ball of my foot.  Sadness.

I was told:
-take 2 weeks off
-get more calcium and vitamin D
-work on my running form and strength
-consider physical therapy before I return to running


So here I am now, ending the year the way it started; on the injured list.  

It's okay.  With all the Christmas and New Year's bustle, it has been relatively easy to keep busy.  At lease I know kind of what needs to happen in the next few months.  In November, I tried to do too much on a too-weak foot and I almost broke it.  Literally.  Once I'm cleared to start running again in January, I will work on strengthening my foot back up before jumping into speed intervals.  Such a simple concept. 


How about you?
Have you made it through the year injury free?
Is it easy for you to make a slow transition back from an injury or,
 do you find yourself wanting to jump in feet first like me? 

No comments :

Post a Comment