Celebrate!

Saturday, June 21, 2014

I like to celebrate. 

Small victories.  Big ones.  Birthdays.  Promotions.  First day of summer. :)  You name, I like to bring out the cake and hit the dance floor with it.

I especially like to celebrate every farther distance I run.  Especially as my foot is getting stronger and I'm gaining my fitness back.  This week it was celebrating 1.5 miles.  Holla! 


I remember the first time I ran farther than a mile.  I told the person (a stranger) on the treadmill next to me.  She/he, I honestly can't remember, probably didn't care but I had to say it out loud.  I had just run far and it was worth celebrating!

Now, I know what you're thinking.  For a girl who's run a couple marathons and whose ultimate goal is to run a 50 miler celebrating 1.5 miles seems silly.


I hear you.  But, let me remind you, there's nothing silly about a slow comeback.  You'd celebrate every pain free step you took too!

So even though the goal is much farther than where I am currently, I will celebrate every single small victory until I can experience that runner's high then low then high again that comes with racing a 50. Boom.

Running is a gift.  Running taught me that.
  
Everything is a gift.  My faith taught me that. 

This injury has been interesting.  It has made me even more philosophical than I am normally.  A series of celebrations and setbacks, it is a season I can't wait to get past.  Just as I've clapped my hands together at some small progress, I'm thrown back with some other (or the same) niggle and am back together with my ice pack on the couch.

This week's run, 1.5 miles was kinda like that.  I ran 1 mile before I started to feel a strain in my Right arch.  Annoying but I continued with the extra .5 I had planned.  Like that old T.S. Elliot quote, "I risked going too far" (getting philosophical again...) and it was okay.  I spent the night icing but I don't feel like I did any damage.  Maybe the next time I run 1.5 miles, I'll be a little stronger.


What about you?
How is your running going?
Do you celebrate as you complete a new distance?

No comments :

Post a Comment