Garmin Forerunner 15 GPS Watch Review

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Garmin Forerunner 15
I was in the market for a GPS watch this summer...something easy to use that would allow me to track my mileage and speed.  Nothing fancy. 

Naturally Garmin came to mind when I first started my search.  Garmin has such a solid reputation for GPS tracking and there are a TON of different styles and versions available depending on your needs.  After lots of internet searching/review reading and consulting runner friends, I bought the Garmin Forerunner15.

Read on for a short review.  


I picked up the Garmin Forerunner 15 at a City Sports (RIP CS :\) for about $140.  I think I might have had some CS rewards or something so I paid a little less in the end.  Of the affordable watches, the Forerunner 10 and the Forerunner 15 were my top choices.  I chose the Forerunner 15 because for only a few dollars more, it had the heart rate monitor and activity tracker options in case I wanted to use them in the future.  The Forerunner 10 did not have these options.

If I could only use one word to describe the Forerunner 15, it would be simple.

The start up instructions basically read:

1. Charge the device
2. Turn on activity tracker
3. Go for a run

There is a step about putting on the optional heart rate monitor and Garmin Connect but I don't use those features. :)

What I use the watch for:  I bought the Forerunner 15 because I was looking to track my mileage and time.  I'm terrible at pacing myself and my main concern was finding something that would keep me on track pace-wise.  Maybe one day I'll need a fancier watch but this, I thought is a good introduction.

The box contained two things:  the watch and a USB power chord.  The USB chord is for charging the watch and uploading your runs to Garmin Connect.  I am not sharing my runs online so I only use the chord for charging.  For additional flexibility, I bought an outlet adapter to be able to charge it using a wall outlet.  Easy.


Usability:  You definitely won't have any trouble using this watch.  Once you're out on the run, you have an option to toggle through 3 screens.  A screen that shows the current time, one that shows workout time and distance, and another that shows your pace and calories burned.  There is one button to toggle through these screens.  Super straight forward.  I've been using the watch for 7 months now and have only accidentally reset the watch mid-run twice.

The watch stores data on your last 5 runs.  You have the option to upload the data to Garmin Connect if you want to keep it indefinitely.  If you don't the data will be lost.  I am okay with losing my run data because I keep a separate running log on runnin2win.com.



Power:  Out of the box, the watch has about 5 hours of battery time.  This feature was very important to me as I run long distances.   The watch has lasted an entire 5+ hour marathon and countless runs over 10 miles.  As long as it's charged fully, I have had no problems.

Now that I've been using the watch for a while, I have noticed a decrease in the battery life.  I have to charge it more frequently which could be a problem on future long runs.  I have not had a chance to test it on a 4+ hour run since my marathon last October.  I plan on ramping up my mileage again soon, so I will update (in the comments) with how the watch holds up in my next training segment.

Accuracy: I find the mileage and pace calculation, while not perfect, is good enough for me.  Sometimes stopping and starting the watch at stoplights which I do so frequently, throws off the distance total.  If I want to know exactly how far I've run, I will map out my run ahead of time to make sure I make the distance. 

Also, the pace calculation jumps around a lot while I'm in the process of running.  It is impossible to run at a steady pace all of the time but sometimes the pace difference on the watch jumps dramatically.  I have stopped relying on the pace while I'm moving and wait for the watch to tell me my mile time.  The watch beeps at every mile and tells you how fast you just ran that mile.  I find that to be much more accurate than the moving min/mile calculation.

A Garmin and a smile.

Likes:  Love the color and the fact that it's not too big.  The more advanced watches can get pretty beefy.  There is also this cool little tab that locks the watch band in place.  I also really like how the watch tells me when I have beaten a mileage record.  Seeing "Fastest 5k!" once it a while is nice. :)  Again, the watch is easy to use which is a big plus.
  
Dislikes:  On a cloudy day, the watch can take quite a while to "get location".  I have given up at times and just run without tracking because it's taken so long.  

Life Hack: On cold mornings, I will sometimes put the watch in the window of my front room and turn it on to get signal while I continue getting ready.  That way the watch has time to calculate and I don't have to stand outside waiting and waiting and waiting.  My life hack seems to be working for now.

Features not using:  
- Garmin Connect- allows you to upload and save your runs to a computer or smart phone. This feature also has a social component that lets you share your runs with friends who also use Garmin Connect.

- Optional heart rate monitor - tracks your heart rate.  Requires additional purchase of a chest strap.

- Activity Tracker - tracks your activity throughout the day -- steps, sleeping pattern, etc.

I'm not using these features now but maybe on day I'll give them a try!

I hope this review helped.  If you're looking for a simple, affordable watch that will help you with tracking your pace and mileage, the Garmin Forerunner 15 is a good option.  It's been holding up great for me!

No comments :

Post a Comment