Runner Creations: Granola Bars!

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Have no fear! This is NOT turning into a food blog. I'm just a little proud of my creation and wanted to share.

A few weeks ago, I was on a short lived crash fast. I'm not going to go into details but i was hoping to address some inflammation issues that have been affecting my life and running.  I cut out a lot.  Sugar was the hardest to deal with.



Sugar addiction is real, folks. 

I immediately took to bananas and those little Halo oranges to control cravings but, after about a week of that, I wanted something with some texture. 

Granola bars!

I researched the basics and decided to try it with some of my favorite ingredients...most I already had in my cupboards.  See pics below. 


Had to crush the almonds.


Heated honey and peanut butter.

I toasted the oats and coconut for about 10 min.

Then, I mixed everything together: honey/peanut butter, oats, and extras!

I made two different batches: One with just raisins and the other with almonds and coconut.


Smoothed it all out using the bottom of a water glass. Baked it all again for 15 min at 375.


Cool for an hour or so and cut! :)



Good stuff! These were delicious but a little on the sweet side. Next time, I will put less honey and maybe substitute almond butter for the peanut butter.

I love granola bars and I'm pumped at how easy they are to make. Will definitely try again with different ingredients.


2 comments :

  1. Yum! I'm excited that your running has started to push itself into your kitchen too - now there's a place where I can relate!!! I am starting a new running plan this week for the summer and am inspired by you, my beautiful friend, and the enjoyment you draw from running. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! Can't wait to hear all about your new running plan! Maybe one day I can come to the West coast and we can do a race together! :)

      Delete