Winter Trails, Busyness, and Awesome Sunsets

Sunday, February 19, 2017

I just completed week 9 of marathon training; officially the halfway point! 

Where did the time go?

Long runs from now on will become really real.  Next Saturday calls for a 15.  I haven’t run 15 miles since that time my friend Liza and I got horribly lost on the Reservoir trail last summer; an unplanned and painful 15...
 On one hand, I can’t believe it’s been that long and on the other hand I feel like this training block is progressing quickly.  Even though I have been adapting well to the training and I’m getting stronger each week, 15 miles is a REALLY long way.  I'm definitely a little intimidated.

Hold the Trails

Last week's run went okay though.  Winter has finally hit New England with over 14 inches of snow falling on Boston last week.  I have been able to get out to the trails once a week but that was out of the question last week.  Most of the snow fell on Thursday and then a few inches again Saturday morning and the sidewalks were still pretty yucky when I set out for my long run Saturday afternoon.  Luckily for me, running on the snow translates well to trail running.  So even though I opted for the roads I was still using some of my “trail running skills” to get me through my run.

Ways running on snow is similar to running on trails:
  • You need to be hyper-aware – with ice and slush and puddles; you need to watch your step every second of the run.  Running on snow can be fun but it can also be a little precarious 
  • You need to take small quick steps – small steps allows you to quickly correct if you accidentally hit a patch of ice wrong or if you step on a snow lump wrong.
  • It feels like full body workout – hips, ankles, abs; they are all pretty well worked during a hearty snow run. 

I’ll give it a couple of weeks for the snow on the trails to get packed down before I head back up to the Fells for a run. For now, I’m just enjoying the city streets winter “trails” and trying not to get hit by a car or wipe out on the ice.

Here are some pics from last week’s 13 mile long run.  Liza joined me for half of it and I was so glad she did.  Conditions were hard and super slow going.  When I picked her up at mile 7, I was cold and cranky.  After a couple of miles of running together my attitude turned around.  Her company was the boost of energy I needed to get through that run.








Busyness and Awesome Sunsets

This week, Week 9, was a cutback week and also an incredibly busy week during and after work…transitioning jobs; dinner with friends, etc.  I skipped one of my midweek runs (oops) and if it wasn’t for my convenient commute route, I would have been hard pressed to get any of my other runs completed.  Busy. Busy.  I’m even writing this blog post while on a bus to New York City for the long weekend.  Making every moment count :).  It’s normal to have a week like this every once in a while.  The trick is to be flexible!

Here are a few beautiful sunset shots I took on my evening run commutes this week. The sun is staying up so much longer these days.  Spring is coming!







How about you?
How do you adapt training when the snow falls?

Are you a morning runner or an evening runner?

2 comments :

  1. i was also thinking when i was running in the snow how my balance was different-more like trail running....which i need to do more of :} so glad your training is going well and i love he photos ...thanks :] oh and i'm a morning runner...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks B! I tried to be a morning runner a year or so ago. I liked it :) I usually find myself going in the evenings or just after work. Maybe I should try again. :)

      Delete