To Hale and Back 2017 Race Recap

Monday, March 27, 2017

Group pic with the folks in our carpool
On Saturday, I completed the TARC To Hale and Back 6hr trail race.  While I have volunteered with TARC in the past, this is my first time actually running in a race.  It was a blast!

A snow storm a couple weeks ago made it so that no one really know what the course conditions would be like.As I wrote in my race goals post, my main goal for the day was to have fun and maintain a positive attitude.







Before the start of the race, RD extraordinaire, Josh Katzman, took some time to orient us to the route and the conditions of the course.  There was a little over 100 people running the 6 hour race.





The howl went off about a quarter past 8 and we were off!  It was single file for the first mile or so and the snow on the trails forced us to go slow. 




The Course

It was a dreary day down at the Hale Reservation on Saturday.  The forecast was light rain all day long.  Thankfully it was intermittent.  The trails at Hale are technical, with roots and rocks, short but steep climbs, creek crossings, and beach crossings.  The snow added that additional level of difficulty to it.  I purchased YakTrax a couple of weeks ago in order to make the snowy hills more run-able.  I was glad I did.  Having the YakTrax on gave me a little better traction and I had more route options when going up or down a steep snowy bank.

It was messy but surprisingly not that bad.  I think we were really fortunate that the rain was light.


The pink ribbons marked our way along the route

My favorite part of the course. We came down this on a long snowy path. Just awesome!


Lap 1 - (3.5 miles)
  • I started off cold from standing around in the drizzle for debrief 
  • This first lap went by quickly. 
  • I was with a group for pretty much the whole thing.  
  • Finished super energized and excited for the rest of the day.  
  • Unfortunately, I had a bit of an extended aid station visit because I forgot my cup inside the lodge. This year's race was completely cup-less, meaning the race did not provide cups to competitors at the water stop.  I had to go get my cup if I wanted water or Tailwind. I only lost a few minutes getting it and then another two or so drinking.

Finishing that first lap felt awesome!


Lap 2 - (7 miles)
  • I started off by myself (because of the extra mins spent getting my cup)
  • I was lapped by the first guy shortly after setting out :)
  • I took my first and pretty flamboyant fall down this long snowy slope (my favorite section of the course).  It was fine... just snow!
  • The last half of this lap, I linked up with this boxing coach from RI and bonded over RI and the movie Bloodsport.
  • I started to develop a headache toward the end of the second lap so made sure to drink and eat a lot after.  TARC always has such a great variety of options.  I pretty much stuck with boiled potatoes dipped in salt, peanut M&Ms, and Tailwind/Water. I ate a quesadilla after lap 2 and again when I was finished.
Me downing a quesadilla after lap 2

Lap 3 - (10.5 miles)
  • Still feeling positive and energized! 
  • I set out with Renee for this lap.
  • My headache subsided somewhere on the third lap.  I think the electrolytes and salt helped a lot.
  • I fell again but this time at the scariest part of the course. This part of the course was on a sloping hill side just above the pond. It was covered in snow and big bolders (ugh...slippery and dangerous).  I took my time every time I went by this section.  It wasn't a bad fall. My hands broke the fall but it was on slushier type snow so my gloves got wet :(


Lap 4 - (14 miles)
  • My hands were really cold for this entire lap because of the fall on lap 3.  It was distracting but I tried not to think about it. I had dry gloves in my bag inside the lodge but I didn't want to lose any more time going to find them and I also wanted to keep those gloves dry to warm up with after the race.
  • I was still with Renee for this lap. We were well paced and had similar race attitudes so it was good to stick together. I was grateful for the company.
  • I was getting tired by this point.
  • Finished a little slower than the previous laps but still positive.
Me at the end of lap 4 and Julia photo bombing :)

Lap 5 - (17.5 miles)
  • Out with Renee again; this was her last lap
  • There was a little pressure for me this last lap as I was debating the whole time whether I could get another.  Tried not to overdo it though.
  • I was feeling EVERYTHING as this point.  Mild cramping but nothing serious.  I need to work on my glutes and quads.  The hills were killing me!
  • The trails were really becoming muddy (that kinda mud that suctions you in and threatens to rip your shoes off) and slushy and instead of snowy.  Fun times.
  • I found my legs were getting wobbly and my uphill walks were extending a little past the hills themselves. 
  • Still...we managed to complete lap 5 in a little over an hour (like 1:03 or something).

Renee and I out on lap 5
Renee and I at the end of lap 5


Lap 6 - (21 miles)
  • Went for it! 
  • Coming in after lap 5, the Timekeeper said I had 50 minutes to complete another lap.  Not enough time (considering the lap before took us over an hour) but I went for it anyway!
  • About a mile in I definitely knew I wouldn't make it. I was tiring rapidly and my legs stiffening a little.
  • It started misting again when I started this lap. The drizzle was off and on all day.
  • A few people started the last lap at the same time as me but quickly pulled away.  I felt like I was the only one out there for a few long stretches.  My watch also died at the beginning of the lap so I had no clue what was what.  It didn't bother me too much though.  At that point, I had run the course 5 times.  I was focusing on just putting one foot in front of the other.  And, being out alone (I hope) is good practice for future races.
  • I was so excited when I finally crossed the finish line to end my unofficial lap. Just proud to have completed the race.
  • I sat down and promptly ordered another quesadilla. :)
 Me at the end of lap 6!


Overall, my first trail race was an incredible experience!  I don't know if I'll ever sign up for another trail race in March again (haha) but it was really encouraging to see everyone out there staying positive and achieving big goals.  The winner of the women's race completed 10 laps for 35 miles!  All of us battled the snow and slush, rain and mud with smiles and high-fives.  If that's not inspiring, I don't know what is.

Thanks to Josh and all the volunteers  who made this race possible.  It is a pleasure to know and run with you all.  God bless!


2 comments :

  1. you are so amazing and inspiring :] thanks for posting and taking me on your adventure :}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, b! I appreciate you reading! You inspire me as well :)

      Delete