Busy Month Sans Running, Blogging

Sunday, July 21, 2013

To my regret the busyness of life has translated into a 3-week hiatus from blogging.

I didn't intend to take the time off... I even started a few entries only to run out of time in completing them.  Asi es la vida (such is life!)

Last you heard from me I had run that crazy hot and hilly 10k.  I did it mainly to have something to train for.  It ended with me thinking that I probably needed more time off running.

Injuries stink.
  
I have a really kind and gracious athletic trainer friend who gave me some insightful advice.  She said,
"CB, if a dog hurts his foot, he picks it up and only puts it down again when it feels better." 

Translation: "Don't try to run through injury."  And I say, easier said than done.  But, I have been trying.  She has also given me some exercises and agreed to look at the foot closer to see if she could customize some pads for the ball.  I'm thankful for this.  I've stopped using my generic ball pad because it was bugging me a little.

In the mean time, the social calendar has been full, biking/spinning has kept me active, and I have been working over-time to remain positive.  It has helped to be busy and back in the gym but the what-if scenarios remain.

What if I never run again! (I tend to get dramatic in the thick of things)
What if Chicago doesn't pan out
What about Boston next year...

I have been mentally preparing myself  for the tough answers to these questions and by the grace of God I'll be okay with however it turns out.  Here's what I'm thinking at this point:

I will most likely run again
If I'm not running in Aug (yep, that's in 1 week), I will need to rethink Chicago
Boston 2014 is out.  I'm not ready to commit to a race while still injured.

It's been a long month.

I've definitely seen great improvements in terms of my foot but there are still some variables that can change between now and October.  Praying for patience and discipline as I'm out of my element on the bike and I keep randomly jumping on treadmills just "to see how it feels".  :\

No comments :

Post a Comment