3 - 2 - Chicago Marathon!

Friday, October 11, 2013


3 days left to race day.  That’s 3, 2, Marathon!

I’m ready as I’ll ever be considering I haven’t been running and have spent the greater part of the last 10 months nursing a foot injury.  

Evidence A:   the chart below is of my last three [and basically only] weeks of training.



That's some stuff. 

Anyway, I've thought a lot about this last month and for the last couple of weeks.  It was with a heavy heart that I decided to forgo my plans of marathon victory and started to brainstorm a more conservative approach.   I played through all the scenarios in my mind; from running to not running, from run/walking to walking the entire thing!  Ugh.
But alas, with the help of my running buddy, you know...the one featured in my previous post, I put together the marathon race “plan” that I hope will see me through (with some contingencies of course...a ninja always has a backup plan).


Plan A –
Start the marathon with the rest of the 45k proud runners.  Settle in around 11 min/mile taking in Chicago and grind it out through the half.   I figure it’s going to take a special kind of grace to get me that far and I will be so proud if I make it.  Dropping out at the half wouldn’t be so bad.

Plan B –
Start the marathon-- of course.  Settle in around 11 min/mile through the half and continue on if, and only if, I’m not in too much pain, run/walking to the end.  I could always flag down one of the runner transport van people at an aid station if I’m bad off.

Plan C –
Start. yeah yeah.  Settle in around 11 min/mile for as long as I can and push on no matter what to the end.  Yelling "Yolo" as I pass mile markers. 

** I don't know about this one.  I see it going badly for me seeing how under-trained I am and being that my foot is not completely healed.  But then again, anything can happen.  At the end of the day, though, I do want to be able to run again. 

Notice that all of these plans have me starting the race. 

I made the decision to toe the start line a while back for a couple of reasons: 
  1. I wanted to meet the rest of the fundraising team. GOTR Solemates rule!
  2. I really value my spot in the marathon and I'm well enough to give it a go.

I  have no idea how this race is going to go and honestly I’m no longer that worried about it.  Okay, I am a little nervous but that’s normal.  A marathon is a big deal!  I’m just feeling more at peace with it as the day draws near.  We’ll see how it goes.  If you pray, pray for me on Sunday.

And... P.S. the forecast looks great. 



No comments :

Post a Comment