Chicago Marathon 2013: Race Recap

Thursday, October 31, 2013

It's about time I'm sitting down the finish this race report.  So much to say about a race I wasn't supposed to start much less finish. :)


Lots to be thankful for with this one.


Running is such a metaphor for life.  When my new TV arrived, I set it up immediately but found it slow in connecting to the wireless.  So, off I went the next day to find an Ethernet cord long enough to connect my router to the tv on the opposite side of the living room.  After many misses in a variety of shops, my great Ethernet cord hunt led me down to the good ol' Good Will where, as is typical, I was directed to a dingy plastic bin filled with miscellaneous computer cords (and the occasional mardi gras mask) and was told, "if we have it, it would be in there."

Nice. 

Peering in, I could tell that there were multiple Ethernet cords mixed in with some other computer accessories but I couldn't tell how many.  I grabbed at one and pulled up half the contents of the entire bin.  It was a big balled-up mess.

Sadness.

I thought, "this is going to take some time and energy.  I don't know how long it will take or if the cords will be long enough when I'm finished, but I've got to try."  I grabbed-on to one and started working on it as is the ritual in most households early-December when breaking out those Christmas lights for the season.  Except I was in a dirty Good Will basement not sitting by the fire with JF nipping at my nose.

I was at it for a while but was determined.  I said, "it IS worth it, so let me work it" but I didn't put anything down or flip it or reverse anything.  Straight diligence to the end.  

After about 5 minutes or so, I had freed up 3 too-short cords and had one left in the jumble which I could tell wasn't going to cut it.  I left the GW empty-handed.  BUT, I had the strange feeling that I had accomplished something...even if it was just ruling out a potential future Ethernet cord supplier.

While I was there, it got me thinking on this year's marathon.  Chicago!

Sure, the famous saying is "life is like a box of chocolate" but after my Good Will experience I'd hold out that the Chicago Marathon [for me] was like a bin of computer cords...you just gotta jump in there an see what happens. 


As you've probably read in most of my previous posts, particularly 3-2-Chicago Marathon, I was not at all prepared to run 26.2 miles.  My longest training run all year was 7 miles.  But, like with that bin of ridiculous cords, I decided to jump in and see what happened. 

The race plan was brilliant:  "Run through the half and continue on if you feel good enough'."  And that's exactly what happened. 


First off, Chicago was a blast!  I definitely have to go back just to explore.

 


Race day started early with a 4:45 am wake-up call.  Good thing I laid out my gear the night before, I was so out of it (I am terrible in the morning).

                                 


Breakfast consisted of a slice of toast with peanut butter, a banana, and Vitamin Water- Rise.  I had a granola bar closer to the start time.  It was a cold morning (mid 40's to start).  With the anticipation of crowds and heightened security, we decided to get to the race extra early  (6:15am or so).  We flew threw security which made for a long chilly wait standing around.
                 

Here's a picture of my running buddy and I at the start, waiting for the sun to come up and the party to begin. 

First half:
My corral (G) started at 8am.  My legs felt tired and stiff and didn't warm up until about mile 5.  Unfortunately, I only had about 2 miles of comfortable running before they started to tire and stiffen up again around mile 7.   I remember having the same stiff-legged feeling at the start of the Philly Marathon but it was much colder in Philly and I was fully warmed up by the second mile.  Either way, in Chicago it wasn't a great start to what was already going to be a difficult race.

I started a rhythm of taking Gatorade and water and took 2 Shot Bloks every 40 min or so (mile 5, 9, 12 and then started to loose count).

Around the 10 mile marker, I noticed that I was starting to feel pain in my right foot, the foot that has been giving me trouble all along.  I kept telling my self, "just get to the half. Just get to the half.  Don't stop running until you reach the half".  Crazy enough, with the exception of the water stations, I made it to the 13.1 mile marker without walking.  PTL.

And, I made it there in 2hours 27min-ish which was a couple minutes under my initial goal of 2:30:00.  It's the little things, people :)

Second half:
I started walking almost immediately after I reached the halfway marker and sent a text to some friends who were looking out for me: 



"Past the half and continuing on
Feeling good.
Pray for me!"

As I was walking, I took some time to assess.  My foot was hurting.  Yes.  But, it was not hurting any more than it was at mile 10.   My legs were stiff and I was tiring quickly but I figured I wasn't doing any real damage.  I told myself if I just kept it slow I could do it.  Maybe.  Continuing on felt like the right choice. 

I began the run walk strategy:  running for 5 minutes; walking for 1 or 2.  By the end, I was running for 1 or 2 minutes; walking for 5.  Good times.
Miles 14-16 were okay with the run/walk.  I was still in a very good mood.  When I got to 16, I was so excited and I thought "only 10 more miles to go!". 

By mile 18, however, the real mental struggle began.  My quads began cramping just slightly and I kept getting flash backs to the major cramping at Philly.  Except, in Philly the cramping started at 23!  My text to my friend was:

"18 miles, ugh"

I did not feel good.  The crazy part was walking was hurting my foot but running was  hurting my legs.  My body couldn't decide which felt "better".  It really just wanted to sit down and be done with it, which was not an option.  I really had to coach myself through those miles.  "It's okay, you're supposed to be tired..."

My major focus at that point was to slow down and not cramp up.  I didn't think I could handle a hurting foot, stiff hammies and cramping.  I didn't think I would finish with all of that going on.  So, I did what I could and I ended up walking significant portions between 18 and 22 taking the opportunity to meet and encourage other runners and read some of the fantastic spectator signs...even one that read "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me".  Amen!

I took frequent stretching breaks which allowed me to pick up the pace to a jog until my muscles tightened up again.  Then, I would walk for a bit and repeat the stretching. 

It was a rough pattern and I was feeling the strain until a friend unexpectedly jumped in with me at mile 23.  She was there waiting to cheer me on but little did I know she came prepared to run a little.  I was so encouraged and the last 2 miles were transformed by her support!  We took miles 23-25 at a slow run/walk but it was by far a more steady pace than I had been doing up until then.  I was thankful.



My friend jumped out around 25.5 and I had the last mile to myself.  It was okay though.  The crowd was nuts.  I brought it in slow but so happy.  I was amazed that I did it.  I sat down on the ground as soon as I cleared the finish line area.

Marathons.  Tough tough tough but hard to resist. 

When people ask "how was it".  I say, "it was great. I finished".  That was the most important thing in this one with everything going on with my foot.  My time wasn't anything to write home about and my race strategy even less.  However, even with all the ups and downs of the year and the ups and downs in the race itself, I could see how God was giving little encouragements and growing me in the process. 

My hurt foot has been bother but it has taught me to slow down and to make the things that I can do count for much more than the things I can't.

Finished!


Chicago Marathon 2013 Finisher's Medallion

No comments :

Post a Comment