The Obligatory X-ray Post

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Afternoon Run
1 mile - Easy Run
Treadmill


Four months have gone by and still the same old ache in my right foot.  This is what's up.

At the start of the year, I was on fire! making race plans for the year and feeling ready to kick butt at every distance.  By mid January, I was hobbling around like a "gimpy limpin' momma" wincing with every step.

Foot pain = bad news for a runner.



It came on pretty quickly.  During the first week of the year, I started noticing a peculiar ache in my right foot where the second toe meets the ball.  I decided that I had walked too far in some uncomfortable shoes I own and gave myself a weekend to rest.  I was feeling good enough at the start of that next week so I attempted the 5 mile run home from work that Tuesday.  And, woe is me, the camel's back went "ploosh" with about a mile and a half left in the run.  When I finally made it home, I put myself on the injured list and self-prescribed some rest, which, as I would find out months later, would not be good enough.

Two months after that, in March, I went in to see a podiatrist with my cry for help.

side note/spoiler alert:  It seems that every time I get an x-ray I end up being the girl who cried wolf.  I've gotten three x-rays in my lifetime and all three showed that I was just fine.  My foot doctor's visit back in March included. 

Anyway, I said to the doctor, "this is what's up...(restating the above minus the spoiler)"
top of right foot

And, after about 3 minutes of moving my foot around and (no joke) watching it with one eye closed and then the other, he says (and I paraphrase) "your Achilles is tight and the limited mobility is causing you to run a little funny.  Since your second toe bone is longer than the big toe, it's taking most of the beating on impact and when pushing off while running.  Take lots of Aleve, stretch and with time you'll be good as new.  Oh, and you have a little hammertoe.  Good luck in Chicago."

Whaaaat....


One the one hand, it was a relief that he seemed to respect running and didn't tell me to stop completely but on the other hand, I was a little put off at such an "easy" answer.  He diagnosed me so quickly.  Stretch and good as new?   No way, buddy, I know there's something broken in there somewhere!

After two months of resting and still having significant pain, I did what only every self respecting know-it-all runner would do-- I demanded and x-ray.

right foot inside view
An hour and a half later this is what I got-- proof that there were indeed no broken bones.  A girl's got to be sure. 

Having been proven wrong, I resolved to do my stretches and start my Aleve regiment like a good patient.  I found some relief in the anti-inflammatory but the pain came right back once it wore off.  After about three days and some stomach pain I nixed it all together.  That left me with the endless stretching.  Do a little here, a little there, a little everywhere  until I felt nice and lean and strung out.  The only problem was, the pain continued.

So, I asking around and googling a little I found some good strengthening exercises that proved to be the answer.  In my research online I kept finding mention about a condition runners experience called Metatarsalgia that seems to match my symptoms (and some of what the doctor said).  This link to WebMd makes it sound pretty grim by the way.

It is June and there is still pain, however, now I think I have a better plan going forward.  I have determined to use my ball insoles in shoes and moleskin when wearing sandals (it's debatable whether or not I should be wearing sandals but oh well), I purchased some new zero drop shoes with extra cushioning and some cushioned socks that will help lessen the impact, and I have signed up for a 10k at the end of June for motivation.

Don't worry.  I'm taking it slow.  Real slow.  It feels good to be back at it.  I will update on my progress.

No comments :

Post a Comment