1 Step Forward, 1 Step Back: The injury dance

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

I have been seeing major progress with my foot in the last few weeks.  I have even started running again.  Slowly slowly slowly and not very far, but running!

Sadly, this week, I had to take a step back.

My foot is wrapped again today.
 

A few weeks ago, I was talking with my Physical Therapist about the strange nature of this lingering discomfort.  He's stumped.  I'm stumped.  We're all stumped!  The Posterior tibial tendon seems to be calming down but there remains this pain in the ball and arch area.  It mostly occurs immediately after rest.  The first few steps are painful then it goes away.  Strange.

After talking options, I decided I would start up another ibuprofen regiment.  I took ibuprofen night and day for 2 week and 4 days.  


That's everyday... breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

Towards the end my stomach was a wreck but my feet never felt so good.

Progress...
 
  --  I was beginning to be able to walk faster with little thought as to my gait.  I gained some of my confidence back.  I've had to be very cautious with walking, (e.g. don't walk to fast, don't walk to far, find the flattest part of the sidewalk, etc.) because up til now even walking was making my ankle sore.

  --  I've been taking on increasingly difficult exercising during my PT sessions.

  --  As long as I wear flats, I can dance the night away with little soreness!  Closed out my the 4th wedding of the season


All this and the fact that my drugged-up feet were feeling great, led my PT to suggest starting up running.  

I started out slow, just running for 1 minute with a 2 minute walking rest after (repeat 5 times) on the treadmill or on the turf field at the track.  The first few runs were great but the last couple (as I started to increase to 7+ intervals) felt not "quite right".  My arch is tired and sore and now I'm taped again. 

Healing is just around the corner but I know setbacks sometimes happen

Found this Kara Goucher quote on Runner's World that sums it up:

copyright Runner's World



 
Starting to run again, though scary and though I'm set back a bit, is the ONLY WAY I'm going to start to run again.  Fancy that.  Sometimes, to go forward, you have to go back or maybe even sideways a little.  

I think inflammation is the last hurdle to get over with this injury.  The way my feet responded to the ibuprofen makes me think that's the problem. But there is no way I will continue with ibuprofen.  I'll step way back this week and see how my foot responds to way less running and with the support of the athletic tape.


Wishing you a better time with your running.


No comments :

Post a Comment