Becoming a Morning Runner

Sunday, November 15, 2015

I have been thinking about becoming a morning runner for a while now.  I decided to make my move this month.   

There is one small detail that has been standing in my way...I am probably the opposite of a morning person.  I find the transition from sleep to activity extremely challenging and not to mention I'm super uncoordinated when groggy.  My body becomes its own tripping hazard.

It has been becoming increasingly clear that most really successful runners find a way to make the mornings work for them.  I've done most of my training runs after work or at night.  After this really difficult marathon training season; with too many skipped runs to count because of work, tiredness, etc. I figured it was time to try changing up my routine. Give the morning a shot.

I decided to start the Monday after the daylight savings adjustment.  The "fall back" was a convenient time for me to start because of the earlier sunrise.  That "extra hour" of sleep made it seem like I had so much more energy.  The 6am wake up call felt like 7am...at least for the first week.  I made it out 3 times and it was great!  This week, too, I mad it out 3 times! Woo.

I know it will take some [big] effort to keep up momentum so here is my plan.

1. Start small

At least for the first few months, I'm going to keep the morning outings to 2-4 miles, 3 times a week.  This will allow me to be able to get up around 6/6:15am, be out by 6:30 and still have plenty of time to run and get ready to head out to work.  No pressure!
  
2. Plan ahead

My issue with transition is only amplified in the morning.  I am so dang slow at getting ready.  I have been laying everything out the night beforePlanning ahead allows me to wake up and not have to think about anything but stepping into my clothes and getting out the door.  I even leaving a glass of water out so I can take a sip before I leave. 

I have also been playing mental games and talking myself into the next morning's run BEFORE I go to bed.  Kinda pumping myself up.  The power of positive thinkingOtherwise, it is so easy to talk myself out of getting out of bed in the morning.  This is going to be important when it starts to be darker and colder at 6am.

3. Sleep
I have committed to getting myself to bed on time each night.  Sorry, Netflix.  You're not the boss of me no more!

Getting a good night's sleep is key to making this work.  I've decided that I need at least 7.5 hours of sleep to be any kind of functioning the next day.  8 hours is the ideal.


It's been about 2 weeks now and I think my plan is working.  It's been an interesting couple of weeks.  I've made it out 3 mornings each week.  Greeting the morning with a run has made me more energized and productive.  It takes more time for me to warm up to the morning runs  but I feel much better through out the day after having run.  I think I might like it.

Here's to developing a pattern to become a morning runner!

What about you?
Do you prefer to run in the morning or later in the day?
What helps you be consistent?


No comments :

Post a Comment