2017 Goals: Flexible Dreaming and Action Camming

Saturday, January 14, 2017

The year is off to an interesting start. I was sidelined for a few days with my second cold in 4 weeks. It's been freezing, and warm, then freezing again. Typical NE winter shinanigans. I'm back running this week and was able to complete 9 miles this morning to close out my 4th week of marathon training.  I am feeling super excited and motivated. 

Thursday's runch...in shorts!

Today's run. So cold that my sweat froze the tassels of my beanie.


A few thoughts for the year 
Every December/January the creative and adventurous juices start flowing and all my daydreams are focused on the year ahead and all the personal records to break and cool events to be a part of. I had ambitious goals for 2016--some of which went unrealized (run my first ultra, total mileage goals, etc.) --and those disappointments taught me some valuable lessons that I want to use to help shape my goals for 2017.

First, I want to continue to dream. I noticed toward the end of last year a reluctance on my part in goal setting and telling people about ideas in case I had to bail.  But, I want to be excited and let myself be motivated by big goals and have fun with it. I have adopted the phrase "going for it" for this year.  After all, running is an adventure and getting excited helps keep that spirit. I just signed up for my first ultra, the TARC Fall Classic 50 miler! I have no idea if I can run 50 miles but I'm going for it and seeing what happens.


Second, I want to be flexible and not focus so much on the "stats" and hitting strict numbers...or whatever.  Things happen and flexibility helped me turn those "lemons into lemonade". I didn't get to do an ultra last year...I didn't even get a marathon both of which are a part of the plan for this year. I did, however have a ton of fun at other events especially at some really cool volunteer opportunities. If for whatever reason an ultra doesn't pan out this year, I want my life and outlook to be flexible enough to adjust and deal with it joyfully. 

Lastly, and this is super random, I want to learn how to use my new action camera really well. :)  I just got it last weekend and I can already tell I'm going to spend a lot of time at it. It's fun and running-related but in a different way.


My new action cam, the Akaso ek7000 (review to come)

The Akaso ek7000 without the waterproof casing. It's so tiny!


19 different mounts came with the camera





What about you?
What goals have you set this year?
Do you have any fun new toys or gear?

2 comments :

  1. that camera looks complicated!!! i haven't set any running goals! i need to...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! It's not so bad. My favorite part is how light it is. It's pretty easy to carry around but boy is it shaky! I have to research stabilization options.

      Delete