Girl, Why You Runnin'?: Part II

Thursday, June 13, 2013

"What started as a way to warm up before working out continued and grew because running is awesome." 

When I say, running is awesome.  It makes sense when people ask "so you've always been a runner?"  I get curious stares when I answer, "no" and I usually have to explain.  I get it.  It's a curious thing.

In the previous post Girl, Why You Runnin'? I told you how I "fell into" running.  Now, I will tell you why I continue to run...

1) Running is a way to push myself
My body is awesome and I love seeing what it can do.  When I ran that first 3.5 mile JP Morgan race I. Was. Enchanted.  I couldn't stop smiling for the first mile or so.  The sea of 12,000+ people all moving along together down the street was awe-inspiring and seeing the winners returning before I was even halfway was plain overwhelming!  I was excited to be a part of it. I was excited to see if I could finish. And when it was over, I was excited to do it again.

After reading Born to Run, I was sure I wanted to do a 50 miler.

That summer (2010), I began keeping track of my runs in one of those online running logs.  I now use Running2win.com.  There is something sweet about being able to go farther and farther each week and seeing it played out in a running journal. 

Long and slow is where I live so training for the Philly marathon was an amazing experience.  With each weekend's run being longer than the previous I was constantly learning new things about my limits.  The first time I ran 17 it almost broke me but then the body adapts and gets stronger.  That is my favorite part about the whole thing; you push yourself and if everything is working right, after a little rest you can go a little farther.  After my first 23 miler, I made it out to a party that same night.

2) You don't have to be a professional to call yourself a runner
This is true about a few other sports as well but it is especially true about running. It is a pleasure and a privilege to be able to enter races with professional elite runners, to cross the same finish line and get the same medal (well maybe not exactly the same).

Running is super individual and personal yet also tremendously community building. I am a 4:50 marathoner but that doesn't define me. What defines me is getting out there, setting goals, achieving them and then setting some more. What pulls runners everywhere together is that "go git it" attitude.

I can remember how pumped I was the first time I ran 10 miles in one week and I can also remember the same sense of accomplishment when I ran 10 miles in one day! Running is just like that. And, everybody celebrates. Snobby runners are few and far between. Stay away from me, please! It's about the journey not impressive stats. For this reason, I really enjoy passing other runners on the street. It's not weird at all to give a head nod or a little wave as you pass by... and that's saying a lot for a city like Boston.


3) Running is truly a humbling activity
My first year as a runner everything was new.  From race distances (how far is a 10k again?), to running terms (PR for example, what?) to how to eat, drink, (ahem) run.  Every single run was difficult and I didn't like running outside...in public!  But I was fortunate to be blessed with a good friend and running sensei who taught me the ropes.  In those early days, and still a little today, she would graciously slow down for me on runs and patiently answer all of my running questions...no matter how basic.

I have come a long way in the last couple of years but I'm still learning things about myself through running.  I'm extremely impatient for example.  I want to be a sub 4 marathoner and I want to be one now!  This injury I'm dealing with is setting me back and that's bugging me.  The list goes on.

When out on the road, I am learning to listen to my body and heart rate.  I am learning that there is no use in pushing when I should take it easy.  If I need to walk for a bit, I walk and if I need an extra rest day I will consider taking it.  Still learning.

And lastly, 

4) Long distance running has slowly transformed into catalyst for me to experience God in a different way.  
Your strength quickly fades after you've been out on the road for hours and hours.   It becomes a constant fueling and replenishing to keep going.  This turns my thoughts back to the greatest source of unyielding strength there is and I'm always thankful for the reminder.  

When out on long runs by myself-- along with waving to babies and reacting to strangers--   I sing a lot (not out loud of course, that's weird).  I pray a lot.  I listen a lot.  Most people don't get conscious alone time to be quiet and to listen.  Long runs are the perfect opportunity.

If I'm running with a friend, however, it's crazy times!  Long runs almost always equals good stories. :)

1 comment :

  1. Okay okay...maybe I do sing out loud a little when I run. You got me.

    ReplyDelete