Spin Class: Why Haven't I done this Sooner?

Tuesday, June 18, 2013


Today was my first spin class.   Ever!

(photo credit: Liza)

I got to the gym this afternoon feeling a little sorry for myself.  My foot was weird on the walk over to the gym and I didn't think running would be a good idea. 

My internal dialogue was like, "If not running, then what?  WHAT AM I DOING HERE AT THE GYM?"

It's crazy when I look back to the time before running and remember how baller I used to be at using gym equipment.  There was plenty to do then and I consistently got a great workout.  

What's different now?

Well, I'm a stubborn runner now, that's what.  If I can't have running, I want nothing at all!  jk  But, I do have to constantly remind myself to do the "other" things like stretching and strength training and core work.  And, cross-training!  That's like feeding a sick child medicine.  Devoting a whole workout to "something else"?  Yikes.

When we cross-train we give our overused running muscles a break and our less engaged muscles a chance to shine.  Cross-training activity whether it be swimming, biking, Frisbee playing, etc. (basically anything other than running) allow those supporting muscles some conditioning that will ultimately help us be better runners.  Sounds great in theory, but it is so hard to remember to set aside time for cross-training and to follow through with it.

Since I put myself on the injured list back in January I have been meaning step to it up with the cross-training-- been meaning to sign up for some group fitness classes.  There are a lot of good ones offered at my gym.  All you have to do is show up for most of them.

Every week a different excuse...

Today was almost no different.  After deciding not to run, I was prepared to zone out for 10 minutes of minimal effort on the stationary bike and call it a day.  A coworker overheard me complaining about not being able to run and saying that I'd like to try spin one day.  She got really excited about how great spin class is and as it turned out she was on her way to spin class right then.  So...I followed her into class.

Sometimes you just need someone to say, "hey, just do it".

Clearly posing for this picture.  There was little smiling happening in class.  (photo credit: Liza)




For those of you who may not be familiar:  Spin Class is an instructor-lead stationary bicycling class.  It's mainly done in a room like the one pictured above.  The instructor is on a bike facing the attendants giving instructions such as at what speed and resistance certain intervals should be done.  It's great because you tackle hills, endurance, speed, and recovery all in one class.  And, as each individual bike has it's own resistance settings, you are able to determine your own difficulty levels.  Great for a beginner like me.  There are also some bumping beats to keep the energy up. 

Seriously, five minutes in I had to ask myself:  Why haven't I done this sooner?

It was great.  The routine was HARD.  There were times when I felt my legs buckling in the pedals and other times where I had to pause to catch my breath.  Good thing the bikes on either side of me were empty because sweat was everywhere!  I was definitely the newbie in the class but there was tons of motivation and encouragement.  It was good to just follow instructions and slog through it.  I felt great when we finished.

I will definitely make an effort to incorporate spin into my routine.  It is just the challenge that I need while my foot is still recovering.  It feels so good to get a workout in without wondering if I'm doing any real permanent damage.  It feels good to sweat.

What about you?  
Do you make time to fit cross-training into your training routine?  How much time?  
What's your favorite go-to workout other than running? 

4 comments :

  1. Wahoo! Glad you found a cross-training activity that you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Spin rocks. We'll see if I keep up with it especially after I start running more.

      Delete
  2. Lmaaooooo w/ the photo credit. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete