Conflicts Abound

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Rest Day

My good friend was telling me yesterday all about the elements that make a good story and in her wisdom found a way to apply it to my training.  Obviously, there needs to be a good plot and a semi-interesting protagonist.  What I never really think about is the necessity for conflict in making a good story-- something the main character is up against; over which she can and must prevail.  Who is Fodo without The Dark Lord and Mount Doom?  What is the Fellowship without the journey and the orcs?  Remove those antagonists and I'll tell you what you'd have...some boring tv.  Take away this element and you have Teletubbies (no offense, Po).

In this epic that is my 18 week marathon training I. Am. Conflicted. but I was encouraged to take heart. Closing out Week 3 and entering into Week 4 I have no kind words for the triple-threat chafing my experience.

My message to the fiends:  Humidity, it's just a matter of time before you are swept away by the cooler more pleasant air I've become so used to.  You will not keep me confined to the treadmill for long!  Excessive Sweating, I will sop you up with a biscuit and keep on running.  You too will soon be history.  And, by God's grace, Unruly Mr. Heart Rate, I will pacify you!

It is hard now but overcoming is going to feel so good in the end.


Week 3 Highlights
- 5 miles at 9:03 pace on Wednesday.  PTL! Getting so close to my 9 min goal.
- On Saturday completed 10 miles on the treadmill for the first time.  Not fun but also not as hard as I expected it would be.  Overall a good week.

No comments :

Post a Comment