City Sports "Back in the Day" 10k: Race Recap

Sunday, June 30, 2013

 

We arrived to the crowd rocking out to Karma Chameleon...

The City Sports back in the day 80's 10k

The awesomeness is all in the name.  There was everything-- from Madonna's to MJ dress-a-likes to mullet wigs and scrunchies.  And, spandex, oh the spandex!



The start atmosphere was electric...much like all the neon that was happening.  The race course on the other hand, quickly deflated all that jazz.  Hot and hilly.  Hot and HILLY!


 
pumped to run with our side ponytails.







The race horn sounded, we were off, and it became quickly apparent that it would be a grind.  When we turned right on Broadway (about a mile in) and headed up toward hill country I thought I was going to lose it.  Long story short, I adopted a run/walk strategy from that first insane hill.  I finished with my slowest 10k time yet.

I feel okay about it because:
  1. Signing up for this race was a means to get me running again coming off of this injury.  My foot still has a way to go in terms of healing.
  2. I haven't had much heat/hill training at all this spring as I've been mostly sticking to the treadmill (again because of the injury).

Race atmosphere was great but there were definitely some logistical things City Sports can work on in the future.  If they have the race again during the same time of year; maybe an earlier start, and more water stations/more volunteers at water stations?  How about a less hilly course?  Overall, it was definitely a good inaugural race and a great way to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the company!

Favorite part of the race:  My first high-five was from none other than Big Bird, that iconic Sesame Street sweetheart!  Poor guy must have been roasting in that costume but, I'm sure it was a small price to pay for all the joy he brought to us runners. 


City Sports did give us some pretty sweet mementos!
 
CS shades and Back in the Day pint glass


Chillaxing in our CS shades about to get some post-race burritos.

 
 
What about you?
Did you also run the CS 80's 10k this past weekend? 
How did you do?  What did you think of the race?

No comments :

Post a Comment