Summer Running: A Few Tips for Warm-weather Training

Wednesday, June 26, 2013


 
If you haven't decided on summer plans yet, I suggest taking up running!  What else are you going to do with all that sunshine and extra time?  

Last summer catapulted my running to a new level with more consistent time on the road.  Marathon training had just begun and I was feeling stronger and more fit everyday.  It was hard but, what can I say?  I like running outside.


With the sun is rising earlier and staying up later, there are plenty of hours to fit that workout in, however, running in the heat takes some getting used to.  Here are a few things I like to keep in mind when training in the summer.
 
1.) Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate
Summer brings with it a general enthusiasm for being outside BUT that sun and heat are no joke, people.  They will wipe you out faster than you know.  Drinking lots of fluids will help you be in a better position to fight back.  In cooler weather, I only take water if I'm going longer than 5 miles.  In summer, I usually always take water...especially if I know I'm running a route where I can't get water easily.  Around here, public fountains are few and far between but there are plenty of public buildings and universities that I can pop into if I'm feeling parched.  It helps to plan out the route ahead of time and know what you'll have access to. 

I'm a warm-weather kinda girl.  I like it hot!  But, lounging in the heat and training in the heat are 2 completely different, if not warring, concepts.  Running in the heat can be dangerous if you're not mindful.  Sweaty people like me-- I can lose anywhere between 1 to 2 pounds in water weight through sweat on a five mile run!-- really have to be careful.  I try to hydrate well ahead of time, during the run and immediately after.  Nothing fancy, just water and Gatorade.

2.) Be creative
I did one of my first long runs of marathon training on a treadmill at the gym on a mega hot summer day.  There is no harm in taking it indoors, I repeat, No Harm! in taking it indoors, if a run outside seems too daunting.  I'll say it again in a rhyme:  

If you don't like the heat, get yourself off the street!  

Sure, you will be bored to tears running in place for an hour and a half but at least you'll avoid heat stroke and/or save your shoes from being soaked in sweat yet again (or is that just me?). 

If you do choose to confront the inferno, there are also some other ways to be creative. 
  • Choose earlier in the day or later in the evening when the sun's rays aren't as direct.  Night running is the best!  I always try to remember to wear reflective gear and be alert as shady characters tend to come out at night... 
  • Run to the beach or a lake and jump in for a refresher.  I'm least likely to do this as nature-water sometimes gives me the creeps. 
  • Run to work (or home if that's easier)!  If you've read any of my earlier posts, you know that running to and from work is my favorite thing to do.  And, I'm not a morning person so it's much easier for me to get out of bed in the summer when the sun is up before I need to be.   My running buddy, Liza, can attest as I've left her outside waiting for me on more than one occasion on a cold winter morning (sorry, friend!).
  • Take to the trails.  It is generally cooler under the canopy and the variety offered from trail running will help make you a better runner.  Win-win.

3.) Respect the heat and slow it down
There's no written rule that says you can't run in the middle of the day on a 90 degree day with 90% humidity.  ehem...Badwater anyone?  With care it is definitely possible to have a successful run on a hot day.

I'm not used to the heat so I definitely slow it down.  The body-- specifically the heart and lungs-- has to work much harder if the outside air is hot and sticky.  The heart beats faster to force more blood to the skin's surface for cooling and the lungs are working overtime especially on humid days as the air you're breathing is mostly water.  Forgive yourself if you feel like you have to slow down.

I try to wear light clothing, moisture wicking if they're clean, and I try to keep my skin as dry as I can.  I usually wear a bandana to keep the sweat off my face.  I choose my routes carefully.  Shady streets (that's "tree-lined streets") are always my number one choice to avoid the demanding sunlight.  I avoid industrial parks or long stretches on concrete without shade at all costs on hot days. 

So, why would anyone choose running in the heat?
Running on hot days, though challenging, is not without benefits.  These types of runs can be rewarding as they help you be better for "next time".  Training in the heat is the best way to make sure you're prepared if you're training for a race you know will be hot.  It is always wise to train in the conditions that you expect on race day. 

The increased effort that is needed while training in the heat also makes it so that you will fly on cooler days.  Your body adapts so that cooling will take less effort and breathing will be much easier once the weather cools off.  It is amazing how the body rises to the challenge of the demands put on it.  As long as you train properly, it is possible to reap the benefits of a more efficient body through heat training.  

Now, who's ready for some summer running?


What about you?
Are you pumped to run this summer?
Do you generally stay inside on the treadmill or do you brave the heat outside?

Always consult your doctor before beginning any new fitness or dietary plan.

No comments :

Post a Comment