Interview with Liza Neustaetter

Monday, January 25, 2016

When I was considering incorporating interviews into my blog, there was no one else I could think of more fitting for the "first" interview than Liza.   Liza is a dear friend and fellow Boston-area runner.   

When I started running, she took me under her wing and taught me everything she knew about running. I affectionately call her "Lightning" because of the many miles I spent trailing her through the streets of Boston unable to keep up. We have spent countless hours training and scheming about races together.  I am truly blessed to have such a running friend.


Liza has completed 5 marathons, 2 ultra marathons, and countless shorter distance races. She inspires me every day and I hope this interview serves as an inspiration to you as well.


When did you start running?  How has running evolved for you throughout the years? 
In the spring of my sophomore year in high school, I decided I was going to join the cross country team in the fall, so I started running that summer. I was out of shape, but I didn’t start just because I wanted to lose weight. I did want to get fit, but more importantly I wanted to be on a team. I had friends who had been on the cross country team since freshman year. I saw how close they were and I wanted to be a part of that. 

I enjoyed being on the team, but I never really loved running back then. Even though I improved considerably (my mile time went down by about 4 minutes), I was always comparing myself to other, faster runners. I had low self-esteem. I was doing okay, but I wasn’t really happy.


I ran on and off while I was in college, but when I moved to Boston in the summer of ’08 I started running more regularly. I was living with two of my friends from my high school team. I didn’t run with them (they are much faster!), but being around them inspired me to lace up again. I ran the Boston Half Marathon in 2009. I’ve been pretty much obsessed with running ever since. 


I run farther these days (woo long distances!), but more importantly, my outlook has evolved. I’m human, so I still compare myself to other, faster runners once in awhile, but I’m a lot more confident and a lot happier. I really love running now.

What do you enjoy most about running? 
That’s a tough question! There are so many things I enjoy about running. When it comes down to it, though, I keep running because it pushes me both physically and mentally. Have you ever heard the Amby Burfoot quotation, “If you train your mind for running, everything else will be easy”? I think it’s true. 

Not only have you finished marathons but ultramarathons too! Which ultra races did you complete? How were the experiences in training and on race day? 
I’ve run two ultras: the 12 hour race at 24 Hour Around the Lake in Wakefield, MA and the 50K race at Jack Bristol Lake Waramaug Ultra Races in New Preston, CT. 

My experience training for and racing those two ultras was extremely positive. Training for and racing an ultra of any length is undoubtedly a big accomplishment. That being said, finishing an ultra isn’t a Herculean feat. In Scott Jurek’s Eat and Run he says that “anyone can be an ultrarunner,” and I think that’s mostly true. 


I had to run higher mileage than I’ve run before in order to prepare for both ultras. In both cases, I definitely experienced setbacks along the way. Some days and some weeks were very difficult. But, overall, I was motivated and excited. That increased level of motivation and excitement carried me through the training.

While I trained mostly on my own, I ran both ultras with my friend Cecilia. I met her at a 5-mile trail race in Ipswich, MA. We run at a very similar pace – I’m a little stronger in

Liza and Cecilia all smiles at Lake Waramaug Ultra 2015
shorter races, but she’s a little stronger in longer races. In any race, you’re going to hit some highs and lows. We tend to hit our highs and lows at different points, which is a very good thing. When I was feeling low, she kept me moving, and vice versa.

We poured a lot of energy and hard work into racing both ultras, but enjoying the experience was way more important to us than our race results. We made sure to smile and have fun. 

I like what I know about the ultra running community. There are some extremely competitive ultra runners out there, but the general atmosphere—from what I’ve experienced—is very friendly and laid back. 

Do you have any tips for everyday runners looking to move from the marathon to the ultra distance
?
Keep yourself motivated! That was the key for me. Sometimes staying motivated requires a little bit of work. If you’re having a tough week, try reading something that will re-inspire you to get back out there, for example. Right now I’m reading Going Long: Legends, Oddballs, Comebacks & Adventures, a collection of the best stories from Runner’s World. If you want to borrow it, let me know!


You are on Twitter and Instagram as @run_boston. Any plans to run "Boston" in the future?
Yes, definitely! I would love to run the Boston Marathon. I get emotional just thinking about it. I’ll probably never be fast enough to qualify for the race, but one of these years I’ll apply for a charity entry. 


Describe your experience participating in the One Run for Boston (2013 and 2014) to raise money for victims of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing. What did it mean for you to be a part of the event?
You and I were cheering on runners about a block and a half from the finish line when the bombs went off in 2013. While were fortunate enough to run to safety unharmed, there were so many people who suffered unfathomable loss on that day. I don’t have a particularly good memory in general, but I’ll never forget details of that day, and I’m sure you feel the same way.

It was a terrible thing that happened, but there was some good that came out of it. The running community and the city of Boston rallied together after the marathon. The One Run for Boston, an epic relay from LA to Boston to raise money for the victims of the marathon bombing, was a part of that movement.


It was an amazing thing to witness this outpouring of love, strength, and support. It made me really proud to be a runner and a Bostonian. 


What are your goals for 2016? Do you have a target race?
I have big goals for 2016! My target race is the Ghost Train Rail Trail Race in October. The course is a 7.5 mile out-and-back (15 miles total). Racers can run as many 15 mile “laps” as they can fit in the 30 hour cut-off. My goal is 100 miles, but I chose the race because it isn’t all or nothing. I might not make it to 100, but I hope I will – at the least – get close.
 

In order to prepare for Ghost Train I’m running two other big races: the 24 Hour Race at 24 Hour Around the Lake in July and the Maine Coast 39.3 Challenge in May. 

Right now I’m focusing on building my mileage. I have a plan, but I’ve been trying to take things week-by-week. I get a little scared when I think about Ghost Train, but it’s a healthy fear. Our dreams our supposed to scare us, right? 


Bonus: If you could run/race anywhere in the world, where would you go?
Ah, great question! Hmm… maybe the Canary Islands? I’m certainly not in good enough shape for Transvulcania, but maybe I will be some day? Do you want to come with me?


Yes for sure!

Liza and I after finishing the Philly Marathon 2012

Show Liza some love!   
Leave a comment below and follow her on Twitter and Instagram:  @run_boston



No comments :

Post a Comment