Winter Indoor Track Training

Wednesday, February 17, 2016


Winter Track!

I signed up for track on a serious whim this season.  I started the winter primarily focusing on building a mileage base while slowly ramping up the back-to-back weekend runsI decided to join weekly track workouts held by my running club, the Somerville Road Runners, to add a little spice to the mix.


Track is something that I tried out with a friend this summer.  I wasn't very good at it then but I'm open to learning and getting better.

I decided to join track for a few reasons.

I needed to mix things up

EVERY run has felt like a long slow run.  I definitely feel really stuck in a pace rut and unfortnately am unable to self-motivate to get out of it.  I'm hoping track will help motivate me to "move mah feet".   I noticed last summer that running on the track really helped me with strength and turnoverMy plan is not to go too crazy but to build endurance for my longer races later in the year.  

There is also a social aspect to the track workouts, sure, but the main focus is getting the work done.  I like this.  The atmosphere is fun yet purposeful.  There is a wide variety of paces and workouts happening at the same time but since we are all just going around and around a 200 meter circle, it feels like we're all doing it together. :)      

I saw it as an opportunity to learn.

Our run club track workout is run by a long time track athlete and coach.  He develops each week's workout and is available for questions before or after.  Rumor has it, he's also willing to give coaching advice and personal help.  This really interested me.  I do the majority of my workouts alone with the only direction coming from information I find on the web.  The opportunity to be given some guidance, if only what pace I should run and how long I should rest during Tuesday night workouts, is something that I really value. 

I also see it as an opportunity to learn from my fellow track mates.  I haven't found a pace pack yet, but once I do, I can see it really helpin me get better.
 
And, finally, I joined winter track because...

It's indoors!

I am what they would call a "fair weather runner".  I love running on dry, sunny 45-70 degree days.  Rain?  No thank you.  Cold/Heat? No thank you!  I'll run....but I won't like it! 

Signing up for track meant that, at least one day a week, I would have a reprieve from the cold;  I would get to run inside, sheltered from the crazy New England winter.  I no longer have a gym so any opportunity to get out of the cold and run inside is welcome!



What about you
How are you staying motivated this winter?
Have you modified your training in any way for the cold months?

 

No comments :

Post a Comment