20 miles!

Monday, October 22, 2012

Afternoon Run
5 miles Easy Run
Treadmill

I never really got a chance to sit down and put my thoughts on the distance to paper.  I recently completed my first 20 miler (hopefully the first of 2 during this training) with my running partner.  The run, completed a week and a half ago already, ran up through Belmont to the edge of Lexington and back.  I don't know how else to describe it.  Running 20 miles is something special.

It takes a special kind of mental prep

If you've ever set out on your first 20 I think you can relate.  It takes some bravery even to get out the door.  Knowing that you'll be pounding out there for that long, the longest you've ever gone or for most, ever dreamed of going, is intimidating stuff.

I must admit I was a little intimidated starting out.  I wouldn't say I was nervous about finishing-- I was pretty sure that with all this training we were fully prepared-- I just wasn't sure how painful it would be.  I was fine all week but when Saturday morning came, suddenly, I was obsessing over small-ish issues trying to make sure everything was perfect.

I was having wardrobe anxiety.  The day was cool, but even still I knew I would sweat a lot.  So, I had to wear just the perfect combination of layers to not get too hot running and to not get too cold once I started sweating.  I donned a short sleeve over a long sleeve (both moisture wicking) and capri tights.  I still don't think I got it right but oh well.  I spent the last few miles cold and my hands were freezing the whole time (gloves are on the shopping list).  I was worried about my food not being enough.  I took along a couple power bars and ended up carrying twice as many fruit snacks as normal.  Also, at the last second I was freaked out that my nose might start to run.  I'm no good at improvising with snot on the road.  So, along came some tissues in a ziplock.  My pack was packed.

The thing about going for so long is you have to remember to pace yourself.  I think we started out a little faster (for me) than we should have-- it's hard to hold back and not just run when you feel good.  There was a spot when I was leading that I was definitely guilty of pushing the pace a little harder than necessary for which I paid on the next sequence of hills.  The good thing is, even if you get tired, you have 20 miles to get yourself a second and even third wind.  This is what happened to us, we stuck with it and the energy came in waves.

Running 20 produces a special kind of pain

...like you wouldn't and can't experience any other way...but, you run through it because that's what you're doing; running.   After all, it is self-imposed, isn't it?  As ultra marathoning champion, Scott Jurek, wrote over and over again in his autobiography/recipe book, Eat and Run, "pain only hurts".

Running 20 miles is supposed to be uncomfortable.  I'm supposed to get tired.  Usually at stop lights my running bud would ask, "ready?" and I would say either, "yeah," or  I would answer "no, but I'm going anyway", however, towards the end of this run when she was would ask, "ready?" I started to respond with just, "no" and she would counter with something like, "too bad" and off we'd go.  She is a good friend.  Sometimes, when I'm out there by myself and I get distracted and complainy, I think to myself "zip it and run" and it helps.

I started to tire around mile 13...with a lot more miles to go.  My legs started to tighten up more than I've ever experienced to the point where I started noticing a little cramping when I would push off too hard on my right calf.  Moving in such a repetitive motion for that long, the legs start to kinda stick in a rhythm.  I started finding myself doing strange motions for variety and stretching at every stoplight.  Stoplights are my best friends on long runs.  Thankfully, there was no serious pain or cramping.

Running 20 produces a special kind of joy

Even though, things start to fall apart towards the end, there is nothing like the mega dose of endorphins one gets while out on a 20 mile run.  I was definitely exhausted but at points I couldn't help but laugh out loud.  I think at one point coming back on Mass Ave. we stopped at a light and I couldn't get my drunken legs to stop moving.  I had to keep pacing.  My upper thigh was pretty stiff but my legs were so wobbly every time I stopped.  It was quite ridiculous and I laughed.  Towards the end also, every time I took my mind off of my form, I would start shuffling a little sideways; an old crooked runner who lives in a little crooked house.  I would kinda start and stall, start and stall like a broke-down old Chevy and tripping over absolutely nothing became the norm as my feet were hardly leaving the ground at times. 

Watching my form and getting my legs to keep up took most of my mental energy.  The last couple of miles, my running partner coached me to start counting my steps.  Counting your steps helps you keep your legs moving by developing a rhythm to follow.  You count 1, 2, 3, 4-10 or 12 every time your right foot hits the ground.  At first it helped so much that I wondered why I didn't start counting sooner.  I was sort of keeping pace again.  Then, after a few blocks, I started to loose track and forget the numbers and I laughed.  Ridiculous.  Running 20 makes it so I can't even count to 10!

It was funny and it wasn't at the same time.   If I any one who knew me saw me out there those last couple miles, I'm pretty sure they would have offered "to help".  You know those people who run by and you think, "that looks like it hurts".  Well, that was me and it did hurt.  But, there's something about running 20 that infuses you with pride.  You say, "I may look busted but I've just gone 18 miles with only 2 left to go.  Boom.  How was your afternoon?"  You keep running because you a boss.

When it was all over, I got home, sweating and shivering, able to stand up straight but unable to stop moving.  I downed some Vitamin Water and jumped in the shower to try to warm up a bit.  When I got out, the fatigue and hunger and everything caught up to me all at the same time.  I ate a few Sun Chips, curled up on my bed and went straight to sleep (wet hair and all) .  I literally couldn't do anything else.

Running 20 makes you want to run another 20.

2 comments :

  1. Cha you are amazing. I'm so impressed with you digging into this running thing in a major way. Plus you're a really entertaining writer. Saw this article today and thought I'd share it with you: http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-marathons/2012/10/26/135a6eb2-12e9-11e2-ba83-a7a396e6b2a7_story.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, B! I'm glad you're reading and following along. I know you can remember the time when running was such a Struggle for me. Wowee. Thanks for sharing the article!

    ReplyDelete