Racing the T

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Afternoon Run
5.2 miles Easy Run
Road

Run home from work.  Why ride?

This is the only way I could see to fit in my workout and still make it home in time for the trick or treaters to come around.  Thankfully the rain held off.  I made it home just in time to shower and only ended up missing the first group of kids!  I love how resourceful running has made me.

The run itself was pretty tough.  Legs felt heavy and it was like I couldn't get my body to "want to".  It's crazy when these supposedly easier runs take it all out of you.  Unfortunately, with running, it sometimes just depends on the day.

Christ Tomlin's,  Our God is Greater, was playing in my head most of the way.  This song definitely lifts my running spirits.  BUT...what lifted my running spirits even higher was when I looked over and found that I was neck and neck with an MBTA bus.

I passed the station just as the bus was pulling out.  It would pull over, let someone off or on, I would pass and it would catch up later down the road.  This went on for a few blocks...to the point where I could tell people on the bus were recognizing me and even routing for me-- in my head at least.  "Go, Cha. Go."  They were saying.

And, I was going.

My back straightened up a bit, my legs quickened and the run felt a little less painful.  I was winning and that's all that mattered at that moment.  Traffic was on my side... but who's counting?  The thing had four wheels and an engine! 

I was feeling pretty pumped about racing the T and winning until the point when I realize I'd been running for a few minutes with no sign of the bus.  Silly thing had turned.  Punk.  Afraid to lose to a girl?  I was back on my own.  Good thing I had only about a mile and a half to go.  The residual excitement carried me through to the end.  Good times.


Super side-note...

Even though this particular run was hard I definitely woke up this morning feeling thankful and blessed by this marathon training; all of it.  With only 3 weeks to go, I look back at the hundreds of miles I've logged in the last 3 months, some easy and some just as difficult as today's, and I'm filled with gratitude.  God has been so gracious to me in this process and I honestly don't believe it will end on race day.  Race day's going to be a great big party no matter what happens!  The hard work's already been done.  Shoot.

No comments :

Post a Comment