Is it Okay if I Say it?: Rest Rocks!

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

I did not run today.  

       I did not run yesterday...or the day before [or the day before that].

4 days off and...is it okay if I say it?...it is wonderful. 
  
This is the longest break I've taken since I was sick back in May.  Only, then I was pulling my hair out because I desperately wanted to run.  I couldn't believe the injustice of getting sick during half marathon training and thought I would lose my mind.  I think I may have even started out a few times only to be grounded by my fluid-filled lungs.  Then, I was a prisoner confined against my will to only walking (and slow-walking at that).

Now, I am gladly enjoying this break.

After Friday's run I knew I had to do some major resetting.  When I hit the treadmill and my head immediately started pounding (an allergic reaction of some kind, I'm sure), I knew it was going to be a long run.  5 miles later (and only halfway in), I had to put a stop to the madness.  My body and mind had had enough.  I decided I needed to hop off and stay off for a while.
This was the perfect weekend for an extended break from running.  I was away all weekend at a church retreat which made taking Saturday and Sunday off easier to justify.  There were some in the group who went out running along the beautiful wooded roadsides but the thought of joining them made me want to cry.  Monday morning, I woke up with the same feeling so I promptly declared-- to myself of course-- that my running week would start on Tuesday!

Then, today it rained.

Somewhere along the way the treadmill has earned my disdain (I'm just "hating" right now...it'll pass) so I wasn't prepared to go to the gym after work.  And, we all know how I feel about running in the rain...even light rain.  So, today is out-- and, is it okay if I say it?-- I don't mind one bit. 

I came home, made dinner and ate it.  Checked my email, responded to some, read a bit of a magazine, and then packed up and went to Starlight.  I can't remember the last time an evening went like that...all relaxed like.  Training is hard stuff and I have to admit I didn't miss it much these past few days.

I guess this is what they call burning out...

Don't get me wrong.  I still like running.  Maybe I do need to write that post on exactly why I do after all this.  I'm just enjoying sitting still for a few days.  I can already feel the good a bit of extra rest has done for me overall.  Lord willing, I'll run again tomorrow.

No comments :

Post a Comment