Long Run Temptations

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Afternoon Run
13.5 miles Long run
Road

Have you ever had your T pass yell at you?  I mean scream at the top of its lungs with an impressive will of its own?  No?  Carry it along on a 13.5 mile hot sweaty run.  You'll hear.

This was the long awaited Fresh Pond run.  My running bud has been talking about showing me this route for a while and finally today was the day.  Things started out okay.  By mile 9 (near Harvard Sq), however, my pass was legit burning a hole in my waist-pack begging me to stop.  Crashing miserably, I wanted to hop on the T so badly and end the madness.  Hot, drenched literally from head to toe with my form falling apart; comfortable things were beckoning from all angles.  Every bench I passed was an invitation to sit.  Every grassy spot a call to quit.  Wowee. Crazy long run temptations!  But... I made it!  I had convinced myself I'd had enough but I didn't quit.  I ended up taking frequent and increasingly longer [and longer] walking breaks but I kept moving forward.  Victory?  Victory!

Many thanks to L for slowing down and waiting for me and...for not letting me get on the T.  This is the farthest I've gone to date.  Sure, I know the long runs will only be longer from here out but I'm celebrating this one now.  Wahoo!

3 comments :

  1. way to go! i know the feeling for sure, and theres a ton of benches at fresh pond!! I'm inspired... i have to know how do you keep from having hurt knees? I have a half marathon in 2 weeks and my knees are killing me every time I go run at this point. good inspiration, thanks.
    jon t

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cha! I concur with Jon..sooo inspirational, good job! Stop by our house on your way back from Fresh Pond next time...tho pretty soon, it won't be 13.5 miles for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mon and Jon! Thanks for being the first to write comments! You make me feel like a real blogger :)

    Jon, I definitely have some aches in my knees but mostly only after I've gone long. Achy knees can be caused by so much...from your shoes to your form/core strength, etc. I wouldn't change too much before your race in two weeks but in the meantime make sure you ice ice ice! Can't wait to hear how your half goes!

    ReplyDelete