Running Long in a Small City

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Morning Run
15 miles Long Run
Road

This run was basically a repeat of last week's run only shortened at the end.  I know I've probably said this before but trying to run 15 miles in Boston means you see the whole city.  Today, I started through Harvard to Kendall and the river, down to Science park through the North end, around to South Station through Downtown and the Commons over to MIT, and up Mem drive all the way through Harvard again.  As the distances get longer, plotting out a good course gets harder.  I did a repeat of last week's run because I knew I wanted to do about the same distance and because I was being lazy and didn't want to take the time to think up a new route in a new neighborhood.

It all worked out.  It was a beautiful morning-- warm but with a nice, at times strong breeze.  I only took water out today; no Gatorade.  And, because I didn't want to make the mistake I did last week of not eating enough and having the last few miles suffer because of it and because I didn't have time to buy more Shot Bloks earlier, I stuffed two Power Bars and two fruit snacks in my pack.  Calories are calories.  The Power Bars, which I ate at miles 5 and 11, agitated my stomach immediately after I ate them then subsided.  I may give them one more try before I rule them out completely.  The fruit snacks worked out well.  I only had one pack around mile 8.

There were lots of runners out.  I met two at my water stop at the BU boathouse who were out on their first ever 10 mile run.  They are training for a half marathon and super excited about it.  I got to share some of my excitement too...I mean 15 miles, really!?

I'm being blown away daily by this training and what my body can do right now.   8 days into the month and I've already gone 46 miles!  What is that!  Last September I only went 39 miles total.  I am also really excited because with this run I surpassed my 600-mile mileage goal for the year!  PTL!  I basically have 4 months to go before the end of the year. What does that MEAN!?  No clue.  I'm in uncharted territory here (at least for me).  God has designed the body to do some amazing things and I'm super pumped by this experience and to be getting stronger everyday.

No comments :

Post a Comment