run, run, REST, run longer

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Afternoon Run
18 miles Long Run
Road

Ran this one over to Watertown.

I wish I could say I took to the streets fired up and ready to run this afternoon.  It was actually quite the opposite.  I had intended to go out in the morning but I woke up feeling super groggy and run down.  I eventually had to drag myself out there after stalling for a couple of hours with my roommates.  It's my own fault really.  Work was a beast this past week and instead of taking Friday evening to rest it up before my big run, I stayed up way too late playing Ticket to Ride (woo hoo!).   Great fun was had by all but, I unfortunately couldn't get going this morning.

In addition to not being fully energized before I set out, my legs were stiff the whole way and started to tense up and hurt around mile 9 (much earlier than usual).  A headache also came on around mile 14, which I carried all the way home.  Tense and tired; there's no other explanation.  I still consider this a good run for having completed 18 miles-- the farthest I've gone to date-- but I am just exhausted.

Rest is one thing about training I haven't really mastered yet.  I want to be able to work really hard and long at work, run often and far during my workouts and still be able to see people whenever the opportunity arises.  Not that there's anything wrong with having a social life while training.  I just haven't been guarding my rest as much as I probably should at this point in the game.  It is important stuff that rejuvenation.

Tomorrow's rest day is going to be sweet.

No comments :

Post a Comment